With Instagram Direct Message (IG DMs) handling, Falcon helps you interact with your customers right where they choose to reach you. Be present in public and private conversations while making use of the unified workflow and team collaboration that Falcon offers. This article will help you with what to expect and how to get started using this Falcon feature.
Instagram Direct Message Features
The Instagram Direct Messages are fully integrated with Engage’s existing infrastructure for handling your customer engagements. This means you can take all handling actions for Instagram Direct Messages that you are used to from handling, for example, Facebook Direct Messages in Falcon. Some of the stand-out features are:
- View and handle Direct Message conversations, including most shared media types.
- View and handle replies to your Instagram Stories.
- Reply, assign, mark as read, like, and label in any conversation, among other standard Falcon handling actions.
- Export any conversation.
- Create Engage automations.
- View Story mentions (When your Channel is mentioned in the Story of another user)
- Share any of your published Instagram posts in a Direct Message conversation.
- Include handling actions in the Measure Team Performance Report.
- Report on Labels added to your Direct Message conversations.
Getting Access to Instagram Direct Messages in Falcon
As of August 16, 2021, Facebook has removed all eligibility requirements for access to this feature. All Instagram Channels connected to Falcon will now have the ability to access Instagram Direct Messages in Engage. Please make sure to enable Instagram Direct Messages as described below.
More information on the Instagram Messaging feature can be found on Facebook's developer documentation here.
For any questions about Facebook's previous eligibility requirements, please contact your Falcon Customer Success Manager.
Enabling Instagram Direct Messages in Falcon
If your Instagram Channel is eligible for Instagram Direct Messages in Engage, you will need to enable the feature both in the Instagram App and in Falcon.
Enabling Instagram Direct Messages from the Instagram App
To enable access for third-party apps like Falcon from the Instagram App, please follow the steps below:
- In the Instagram App, switch to the applicable profile.
- Tap your profile icon in the bottom right.
- Tap the context menu (three lines) in the top right.
- Tap Settings > Privacy > Messages.
- Under the heading 'Connected Tools', toggle Allow Access to Messages on.
Next, please follow the steps below to enable Instagram Direct Messages from within Falcon.
Enabling Instagram Direct Messages from within Falcon
Once you have followed the steps above to enable access to Direct Messages from the Instagram App, a reconnection of the Instagram Channel will be required only if your Channel was last connected to Falcon prior to October 20, 2020. If your Channel was connected after this date, or has been since been reconnected, the steps below will not be necessary.
Not sure when your Channel was last connected? Any Team Leader or Admin user can check the Channel's connection history as described here.
To reconnect the Channel, any Falcon user with a user role of Admin or Team Leader can perform the below actions:
- In Falcon, click your profile image in the bottom left and select Settings in the menu.
- Under Channel Settings, choose Channels.
- Select Add Channels in the top, right-hand corner.
- Under Instagram, select Connect.
- When prompted via the pop-up screen, log into Facebook and then click Edit Settings.
Make sure all permissions are enabled, in particular for Manage and access messages for the Instagram account connected to your Page.
- Complete the Facebook prompt. When routed back to Falcon, you’ll see three tabs. Select the middle tab; Connected channels administrated by your organization.
- Select the Instagram Channels whitelisted for IG DMs and click Connect X Channel(s) in the bottom right.
You can now start handling Instagram Direct Messages through Falcon’s Engage module. The next section of this article will help you set up an Engage Feed for them.
Creating an Instagram Direct Messages Engage Feed
Instagram Direct Messages are integrated into the Engage infrastructure like all other message types. You can create flexible Feeds that include IG DMs, based on your personal workflow. To get you started, here’s how you can create a Feed that includes all IG DMs:
- Navigate to the Engage module in Falcon.
- Click the Add Feed button in the top right.
- For the option On network(s), select the Instagram logo.
- For the option Of type(s), select Direct Message.
- Give your Feed a unique name, such as Instagram Direct Messages.
- Click Save Feed.
Your Feed is now ready for use and you can take handling actions for all incoming IG DMs. Please bear in mind that you can further customize your Feed to your liking with the other Feed options provided.