With Instagram Direct Message (IG DMs) handling, Falcon helps you interact with your customers right where they choose to reach you. Be present in public and private conversations while making use of the unified workflow and team collaboration that Falcon offers. This article will help you with what to expect and how to get started using this Falcon feature.
Instagram Messaging support is currently only available to select Falcon customers. Please contact your Customer Success Manager at Falcon for more information on how to qualify.
Instagram Direct Message features
The Instagram Direct Messages are fully integrated with Engage’s existing infrastructure for handling your customer engagements. This means you can take all handling actions for Instagram Direct Messages that you are used to from handling, for example, Facebook Direct Messages in Falcon. Some of the stand-out features are:
- View and handle Direct Message conversations, including most shared media types.
- View and handle replies to your Instagram Stories.
- Reply, assign, mark as read, like, and label in any conversation, among other standard Falcon handling actions.
- Export any conversation.
- Create Engage automations.
- View Story mentions (When your Channel is mentioned in the Story of another user)
- Share any of your published Instagram posts in a Direct Message conversation.
- Include handling actions in the Measure Team Performance Report.
- Report on Labels added to your Direct Message conversations.
Getting access to Instagram Direct Messages in Falcon
Instagram Direct Messages require approval from Facebook before they can be enabled in Falcon. One important qualifier for access is a high volume of DMs on your account, among other selection criteria that are entirely at Facebook's discretion. It is expected that the feature opens up for all accounts over the course of 2021.
To request access from Facebook at this point in the rollout, please reach out to your Falcon Customer Success Manager for more information.
Enabling Instagram Direct Messages in Falcon
Once your IG account has been pre-approved for access, you can enable the feature in Falcon. Your Falcon Customer Success Manager will inform you if access has been granted.
To enable the feature, a reconnection of the relevant Instagram Channels is required. An Admin or Team Lead user in Falcon can perform the below actions:
- Click your profile image in the bottom left and select ‘Settings’ in the menu.
- Under Channel Settings, choose ‘Channels’.
- Select ‘Add Channels’ in the top, right-hand corner.
- Select ‘Connect’ under Instagram.
- When prompted via the pop-up screen, log into Facebook and then click ‘Edit Settings’.
Make sure all permissions are enabled, in particular for ‘Manage and access messages for the Instagram account connected to your Page’.
- Complete the Facebook prompt. When routed back to Falcon, you’ll see three tabs. Select the middle tab; ‘Connected channels administrated by your organization’.
- Select the Instagram Channels whitelisted for IG DMs and click ‘Connect X Channel(s)’ in the bottom right.
You can now start handling Instagram Direct Messages through Falcon’s Engage module. The next section of this article will help you set up an Engage Feed for them.
Creating an Instagram Direct Messages Engage feed
Instagram Direct Messages are integrated into the Engage infrastructure like all other message types. You can create flexible Feeds that include IG DMs, based on your personal workflow. To get you started, here’s how you can create a Feed that includes all IG DMs:
- Navigate to the Engage module in Falcon.
- Click the ‘Add Feed’ button in the top right.
- For the option ‘On network(s)’, select the Instagram logo.
- For the option ‘Of type(s)’, select Direct Message.
- Give your Feed a unique name, such as ‘Instagram Direct Messages’.
- Click ‘Save Feed’.
Your Feed is now ready for use and you can take handling actions for all incoming IG DMs. Please bear in mind that you can further customize your Feed to your liking with the other Feed options provided.