You can create video, image and link ads from inside the Advertise module. That means you can complete the steps of creating your Campaigns, Ad Sets and advertising content all in the same place. Follow the steps below here to find out how.
Create an Ad
- In Advertise, navigate to the Ad Set section and find the Ad Set you want to create the advertisement for.
Click to open the context menu on the right and choose Create Ad from the dropdown list.
Give your Ad a name in the top left (Optional).
We recommend standardizing your Advertise asset naming conventions. By default, Falcon will name your video Ad ' FLC - *ad type* - *post text*'. It will automatically add a preview of the post text, or state 'No post text' if the Ad text field is left blank.
Define the properties of your Ad. The options are:
- Facebook Channel
Lets you pick the Facebook Channel to publish your Ad to.
If your Campaign Objective is set to Reach or Page Likes, the Facebook Channel is already defined at the Ad Set level. Therefore, your Ad will automatically be created for that Channel and this option can't be edited on the Ad level.
- Instagram Channel (Optional)
You can choose an Instagram Channel to post your Ad to. You can only choose the Instagram Channel that is connected to the Facebook Channel selected above.
If your Campaign Objective is set to Page Likes, your Ad is not valid for Instagram and this option will be unavailable.
Instead of using an existing Instagram account, you can also use a 'Page Backed Instagram Account', which has Facebook create a facade Instagram account that is used purely for your ads. It automatically uses your Facebook Page name and image to create a real looking Instagram account. You cannot log into the account and users cannot interact with it.
- Ad text (Optional)
Write an Ad text with a maximum of 125 characters including spaces.
Not all Ad placements support an Ad text. Review the Ad previews in the center of the screen to find out which Ad placements will contain text.
- Image or video attachment
This option determines if your Ad will become a video or an image Ad.
You can either add one video, or up to six images, by dragging your files to the upload box or clicking anywhere in the box to open a local file browser. Alternatively, you can also hover over the upload box and click 'Select from Library' to open a list of previously used media files.
Find out more about the supported image and video properties in our media attachments guide.
Once you've added a video, you can optionally change the thumbnail to one of your own choosing.
If you add multiple images, each image will become its own separate Ad. You can preview each by clicking through them at the top of the preview section.
- Call to Action
You can add a Call to Action (CTA) button to your Ad and choose the text on it.
There are a variety of options depending on the chosen Objective and Placement.
For the Page Likes Campaign Objective, your Call to Action button automatically becomes a 'Thumbs Up' button.
- Link to promote
Add a link that will be the destination for any user who clicks on the Call to Action button or the link preview under the media.
If you've chosen the Campaign Objectives Traffic (App), Conversion (App), or App Installs, the field is automatically populated with a link from your Ad Set.
- Headline (Optional)
The character limit is 40 characters including spaces. Some placements support more characters.
You can review the Ad previews in the centre of the screen to see which placements can contain a headline.
- Description (Optional)
- You can add additional text to emphasize why people should visit your website.
- Display Link (Optional)
- Instead of showing your link's URL at the bottom of your Ad, you can choose to replace it with a better-looking link, or even a call to action text. The link behind your 'Display Link' text will still point to the 'Link to promote' URL that you provided earlier.
- Dark Post (Optional)
- Checking this box will make the Ad a Dark Post. These posts do not appear on your timeline as an organic version of your Ad, but only in the spaces of your chosen placement.
- Mark as Political (Optional)
- Mark posts as 'political' if the ad is about: abortion, budget, civil rights, crime, economy, education, energy, environment, foreign policy, government reform, guns, health, immigration, infrastructure, millitary, poverty, social security, taxes, terrorism, and values. Find out more about political ads here and get authorized for political ads through here.
- Messenger Setup (Optional)
- If your Ad Set directs traffic to your Facebook Messenger, your CTA button opens a Direct Message conversation between your Page and the customer. You can create an automated message for when the conversation is started.
- Instant Forms (Optional)
- If you're creating an ad with a Lead Generation Objective, you can choose a form to attach. Forms can be created in the Forms Library of your Facebook Page, under the Publishing Tools section. The generated leads can also be downloaded from the same location.
- Ad Duration (Optional)
- The duration is determined by the Ad Set by default. However, Falcon does offer a unique option that allows you to set an alternative duration for individual ads. The Ad will be automatically stop when the duration expires.
- Labels (Optional)
Add labels to your Ad. These make the Ad easier to locate in the Publish and Advertise modules.
Any labels already assigned to your Campaigns and Ad Sets will be automatically added.
- URL tags (Optional)
- With URL parameters you can track how your links are performing, such as which link is getting the most traffic, where it's coming from, and what kinds of users are clicking it. If you wish to analyze the data, a website analytics tool such as Google Analytics is required.
- Facebook Pixel (Optional)
You have the option of adding a Facebook Pixel to your Ad.
For Ads with a Conversions objective, the Pixel is inherited from the Ad Set and can't be changed. For all other Objectives, the Pixel is added by default but can be changed.
Not all options can appear under all placements. For example, the Ad text and Description will not appear for the 'Facebook Right Column' placement, as can be seen in the Preview.
Furthermore, sometimes an option is pre-populated from your Campaign or Ad Set. For example, with the 'Page Likes' Campaign Objective your Call to Action button is automatically a 'Thumbs Up' button.
Review the look of your Ad under different placings. You can choose the following placements to preview your Ad for, by clicking the dropdown list at the top of the Preview section.
- Facebook News Feed
- Facebook Instant Articles
- Facebook In-Stream Videos
- Facebook Right Column
- Facebook Video Feed
- Instagram Feed/Stream
- Instagram Stories
- Audience Network Native, Banner and Interstitial
- Audience Network In-Stream Videos
- Audience Network Rewarded Videos
- When you're satisfied, click Finish Ad in the top right. This will publish or schedule it, depending on the start date of your Ad Set.
The table below the Statistics graph lists all of your Ads. Use the Actions button to the right of an Ad you are working with in order to:
- Play / Pause
- Set the Ad live by selecting Play or stop it by selecting Pause.
- Open in Ads Manager
- View the Ad natively in Facebook's Ad Manager.
- Open Facebook post
- View the Ad natively on Facebook.
- Edit Ad
- Change the options that define the Ad parameters. This is where you can edit and add labels for the Ad.
- Remove the Ad.
The statistics section will give you an overview of the performance of your Ads. You can apply various filters, search for labels, and change the date range in order to customize your view. Read the following article on insights and analytics within Advertise.