Due to the Instagram API limitations described in this article, Falcon has changed the behavior for listening to content on Instagram. Since October 17, 2019, Falcon only tracks and retrieves Instagram mentions for keywords that are written as hashtags. Hashtags are defined by the addition of the # sign in front of the keyword, such as
Instagram allows users to monitor a maximum of 30 hashtags per Instagram Business Account. This change gives you back control over which exact keywords in your queries should fill any of your available hashtag slots.
We recommend ensuring that your new and existing Instagram queries contain hashtags.
There are certain requirements for creating Listen projects that look for hashtags on Instagram. This is due to a series of changes introduced by Facebook in late 2018. Below here, you can find the exact impact that these API restrictions will have on the projects you create in Listen, and the data they return.
Certain information for mentions is anonymous:
- Instagram will not deliver information regarding the author of the content.
- Instagram will not deliver location data on content.
- The timestamps shown on Instagram mentions indicates the time when they were indexed by Falcon, instead of when they were created on the network natively.
Instagram limits how many keywords you can listen to:
- A maximum of 30 keywords can be listened to on Instagram at the same time per connected Instagram Business Account. For example, three connected Business Accounts will allow for a total of 90 keywords across all Listen projects.
- Once the above limit is reached, no user can create a new Listen topic or add keywords to existing topics, where Instagram is enabled as a source.
If you would like to listen to more keywords, we recommend you perform the following actions:
- Remove unwanted keywords from topics that have Instagram as a source.
- Remove unwanted topics that have Instagram as a source.
- Connect additional Instagram Business Accounts to Falcon. Read about connecting Instagram accounts here.
- Disable Instagram as a source in a topic.
You may use the same keyword multiple times, in different projects, and it will only count once towards the Instagram limit.