Besides ad creation in the Advertise module, Falcon allows you to create Facebook and Instagram ads in the Publish module. This functionality is suited for boosting on the fly and promoting existing posts.
The seamless interaction between Advertise and Publish helps you to quickly move from creating your advertising assets to pushing your promoted content live.
To create ads in Publish, your Facebook Ad Account must be connected to Falcon. Any Channels you would like to promote content on must be connected by the same user.
What Content Can I Promote in Publish?
In Publish, you can choose to promote Facebook and Instagram posts. You can promote content in the following scenarios:
- While creating a new Facebook post.
- While viewing an existing Facebook post.
- While viewing an existing Instagram single-image or single-video post.
It's not possible to apply promotion to an Instagram post which has not yet been published, or a published Instagram Story or carousel post.
How are Ads created in Publish?
To create Facebook and Instagram ads in Publish, you will need to assign an Ad Set to your post while creating or viewing the post.
You can choose from your Ad Account's existing Ad Sets or you can create a new Ad Set. If you need to create a new Ad Set, please see the guide below. Alternatively, you can check out the guides to creating Campaigns and creating Ad Sets in the Advertise module.
There are three ways to assign an Ad Set to your content in Publish:
- Assign an existing Ad Set while creating or viewing your post.
- Create a new Ad Set while creating or viewing your post.
- Assign the Ad Set to your post using Smart Labels (pre-defined labels configured to automatically assign Ad Sets). Smart Labels are only available to users with access to the Advertise module.
Once an Ad Set has been assigned to your post, the promotion will be considered in review and will be reviewed by Facebook. If your promotion is rejected for any reason, you will receive an email with more information.
Provided the promotion is approved, your post will be shown in Publish along with a Promoted tag. Please bear in mind that if you have promoted an existing Instagram post, a new Facebook dark post will be visible in Publish to reflect the promotion.
While promoting Instagram content in Publish, it will only be possible to select from existing Ad Sets which already include Instagram as a placement. You can still create new Ad Sets as needed.
Which Users Can Create Ads in Publish?
To be able to create ads in Publish, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Have the ability to create posts in Publish (any user with a user role of Content Creator or above)
- Have the ability to create ads for the applicable Ad Account via Falcon (any user with Promotor or Advertiser access to the Ad Account).
Provided you can create posts in Publish and have the correct access to the Ad Account in Falcon, you will be able to follow the steps below to assign Ad Sets to a post.
To create new Campaigns and Ad Sets, users will need to have Advertiser access to the applicable Ad Account. Users with Promotor access can only create ads using existing Ad Sets.
Assigning an Ad Set to a Post
If you have Campaigns and Ad Sets already available, you can follow the steps below to add them to a post. For help creating a brand-new Ad Set, follow the steps below. Alternatively, you can visit the Advertise module to create Campaigns and create Ad Sets.
- While creating or viewing a post in Publish, look for the Promote module on the left-hand side.
- From the dropdown menu at the top, select the applicable Ad Account.
- From the dropdown menu below the selected Ad Account, filter your results by Campaign. By default, all Ad Sets under all Campaigns will be displayed.
Search or select one or more Ad Sets from the list and click Add. If you are promoting an Instagram post, you will only be able to select Ad Sets which include Instagram placement.
- A popup screen will open in which you can customize the ad options. Provide a duration and name for your ad. You can also specify if the Ad is political and configure any other options, such as Facebook Pixel tracking.
- Click Save.
Assigning an Ad Set to a Post Using Smart Labels
If you have already set up Smart Labels in the Advertise module, you can apply a Smart Label to your post by following the steps below:
- While creating or viewing a post in the Publish Editor, look for the Labels module on the left-hand side.
- Type to search and select the Smart Label in the text box. You can identify all Smart Labels by their icon.
- Confirm the promotion in the approval popup.
You can link one Smart Label to multiple Ad Sets, which can have different active duration timelines. When you use the Smart Label while scheduling a post for a certain date, Falcon will only activate the Ad Set(s) that are live during that date.
Adding Smart Labels to a Publish Campaign
A unique way to utilize Smart Labels is to attach them to a Publish Campaign created in the Publish Calendar. When you add Smart Labels to a Publish Campaign, the Smart Labels will become associated with all stock items included in the Campaign. As a result, when the team uses any of the stock items to create new posts, both the Smart Label and the promotion associated with it will be applied.
To get started, please follow the steps below:
- While creating a Publish Campaign, look for the Labels section under the Details tab.
- Type to search and select your Smart Label in the text box. You can identify all Smart Labels by a unique icon.
- Check the Apply labels to stock box in order to promote all content created from the stock items added to the Publish Campaign.
Your Campaign is now supercharged with Smart Labels and your local teams can create promoted Campaign content with ease.
Creating New Campaigns and Ad Sets in Publish
If you have not yet created a Campaign or Ad Set, you can create either from the Publish module while promoting your content. Please follow the steps below:
- While creating or viewing your post in Publish, look for the Promote module on the left-hand side.
Click Create new Ad Set.
In the popup, select an Ad Account connected to Falcon (learn more about connecting ad accounts here). Click Next.
- Choose an objective for your new ad Campaign or click existing campaigns to view those already created in Advertise or on Facebook natively. Click Next.
- Determine the targeting of your Ad Set. Either select an existing targeting group or click create a new targeting group. If you create a new group, you can select from criteria such as location, interests, and languages, or draw from an existing Custom Audience. Click Next.
- Choose the placement of your Ad. Automatic placement has Facebook decide on the best placement. Manual placement lets you pick the exact places where your ads should appear in the Facebook ecosystem. Click Next.
- Under Budget, set all budget options not yet defined at the Campaign level. Click Next.
- In the final screen, give the Ad Set a name and review the options. Click Create or Create & Promote to apply your Ad Set to the post you're working on.