Reaching the right audience with your content is extremely important for a successful social media strategy. This doesn't just relate to advertisements but also to the organic content you put out there. Even though the options are limited compared to paid content, you can still have a lot of control over who will see your unpaid messages. This article covers all organic targeting and gating features available for the Falcon-supported networks.
Geo-gating versus Feed Targeting
There are two distinct options available for defining the audiences that your content will appear to.
First, there's Geo-gating. This is a Facebook-only feature that allows you to have your content appear exclusively to users in the countries, cities, or regions that you select. Facebook users outside these geo-locations will not be able to view that content at all.
Second, there's the option to Feed Target your content. It is available for Facebook and LinkedIn. Only the users fitting your specified demographics criteria will receive the targeted post in their News Feed. Your post will still appear for all users in your Page's post feed though, which means your content is still accessible for all Facebook or LinkedIn users that visit your Page.
Enable Geo-gating and Feed Targeting for Facebook posts
If you have fewer than 5000 Page fans, Facebook requires you to manually activate the targeting and gating options in your Page settings. Both are activated with a single setting. You can do so as follows:
- Log into Facebook and navigate to the Page you want to enable the targeting and gating options for.
- Click on 'Settings' in the top right of your Page overview.
Under the General section, find the option 'Audience Optimization for Posts'.
- Click 'Edit' on the right side, allow the News Feed targeting, and click 'Save Changes'.
- You can now use both Geo-gating and Feed Targeting for that Page in Falcon.
Apply Geo-gating to a Facebook post
- While creating a post in the Publish Editor, scroll down in the left-hand section of the Editor, to the section 'Geo-gating', and click to unfold it.
Select a Country from the dropdown list and click 'Add'.
- Optional: Further specify your geo-targeting by choosing a city or region within your chosen country, or add additional countries.
Set default Geo-gating for a Falcon user
Admin and Team Lead users can set a default geo-gating for other users in Falcon. The users who have default geo-gating activated can only create Facebook content that is gated to audiences within those locations. You can follow the below instructions to set this up for a user:
- Hover over your profile image in the bottom left and navigate to 'Settings' in the popup menu.
- Navigate to the Users section in Settings.
- Find the user you want to apply the default geo-gating for and click their user card.
- Under the General tab of the user's settings, click 'Show Advanced'.
Under Geo-targeting, select the countries that the user's content should be gated to.
- Click the 'Save Changes' button.
When the user creates a new Facebook post in Publish, they can only geo-gate to the selection of countries you set, or any region or city within those countries.
Apply Feed Targeting to a post
Feed targeting is available for Facebook and LinkedIn content, but the available targeting options differ between the two networks. Furthermore, LinkedIn requires your targeted audience size to be comprised of at least 300 of your Page's followers. If you target your post to fewer of your followers, the content can't be published. Facebook does not put limitations on the size of your targeting audience.
Targeting your content can be done in the following way:
- While creating a post in the Publish Editor, scroll down in the left-hand section of the Editor, to the section 'Feed-targeting' (Facebook) or 'Targeting' (LinkedIn), and click to unfold it.
Select or type the targeting options of your choice. For Facebook posts, be sure to click 'Add'.