Each time you create a new Listen search you will have instant access to graphs and metrics related to mentions, mention volume, sentiment, demographics, and much more.
In this article, find out what data you’ll see, how to navigate the available data, and how to dive deeper and get a better understanding of the information most important to you.
The information in this article relates to the new version of Listen: Listen | Powered by Brandwatch. For help viewing and analyzing insights in Classic Listen, please follow the guide here.
Viewing Quick Searches vs. Saved Searches
When you create a new Listen search, your results will be presented in the exact same layout and in the same order described in this article, whether it is a Quick Search or it has been saved as a Saved Search. However, as shown below, Quick Searches may not have all data available until your search has been saved.
For more information on the differences between Quick and Saved Searches, including what data may not be available for Quick Searches, please visit the full guide here. Below, you can find out how to navigate the results for both Quick and Saved Searches.
Navigating Your Search Results
When you are viewing any Quick or Saved Search, your information will be displayed in graphs and key figures, with the mentions listed on the far right. You can choose to either scroll through the data or click a subheading at the top of the page. Clicking a subheading will auto-scroll to the applicable graphs.
Please bear in mind that all data displayed in your search results will reflect your chosen timeframe. Use the calendar icon in the top right to choose from pre-set timeframes or select a custom timeframe.
Many graphs are interactive. By clicking on applicable mention totals, days on graphs, sentiments, languages, countries, authors, and more, you will filter the mentions on display on the right-hand side of the page.
- Total Volume
- A total of six key metrics relating to the volume of the mentions in your search. Each metric is compared against the previous period to display how the metrics have changed. You can select the cog icon to adjust which metrics are displayed. Please see the definitions of the six key metrics below.
- Total mentions
- The total number of mentions in your specified timeframe.
- Total reach
- The total number of people who are likely to have seen the mentions in your search. The total reach displayed is an estimate based on the available metrics received from various sources.
- Total impressions
- Currently only available for Twitter mentions, total impressions displays the estimated number of times the Tweets within your search may have been seen. The potential number of viewers is calculated by adding the author and retweeter followers, for all Twitter mentions.
- Unique authors
- The number of unique authors seen in your mentions. Comparing this figure to the number of total mentions will give you an idea of how active and engaged your audience can be.
- Average followers
- The average number of followers of all mention authors
- Retweet Rate
- The average number of Retweets per Tweet matching the search
- Mentions Volume Over Time by Hour/Day/Week/Month
- The number of mentions broken down by your specified period. Hover over the graph for the number of mentions indexed during each period. Iris, Listen’s AI analyst, will detect and pinpoint moments where interest was higher than usual. Click any highlighted moments for more information.
- Mention Volume by Day of the Week and Hour
- A color-coded overview of the mention frequency during specific days and times of the week. Hover over any block for information on the number of mentions indexed.
- Mention volume benchmark
- A bar chart displaying the breakdown in volume of your mentions based on your chosen category. Use the arrow dropdown to choose between Platform, Sentiment, Emotion, Interest, Language, and Country.
- Sentiment Volume
- A donut chart displaying the number of positive, neutral, and negative mentions. Sentiment is determined by Listen's machine learning classifier which uses a vast set of over 500,000 training mentions that were hand-labelled as positive, negative or neutral by data scientists. Hover over the chart to view the number of mentions for each sentiment.
- Sentiment Volume Over Time by Hour/Day/Week/Month
- A chart displaying the progression of positive, neutral, and negative mentions over your specified period. Hover over each line to view the specific number of mentions at any time. Listen's machine learning classifier will highlight sharp rises for each sentiment with a letter marker. Click on any marker for information such as the percentage increase and any notable sources.
- Emotion Volume
- The number of mentions displaying a particular emotion, listed by anger, disgust, fear, joy, sadness, and surprise. Emotion is detected by Listen's machine learning classifier, though emotion can only be detected for mentions in English.
- Emotion Volume Over Time by Hour/Day/Week/Month
- A chart displaying the progression of mentions carrying each emotion over your specified period. Hover over each line to view the specific number of mentions at any time. Listen's machine learning classifier will highlight sharp rises for each emotion with a letter marker. Click on any marker for information such as the percentage increase and any notable sources.
A word cloud portraying the frequency of the words featured in your mentions. By default, larger words in the word cloud are seen more frequently than smaller words and colors will identify different topics. However, you can click the Settings (cog) icon to make the following adjustments to the word cloud:
- Select/deselect which keywords and contents are included.
- Determine whether words become larger based on volume or trending status.
- Select which mention classification is highlighted by color (for example, specify that the colors differentiate sentiment or gender instead of topics).
- Adjust the size of the word cloud.
- Top Shared URLs
- The most frequently shared URLs in the body of your mentions along with the applicable number of mentions.
- Top Sites
- The total number of source websites for the mentions in your search along with the applicable number of mentions.
- Top Authors
- The most frequently indexed authors in your mentions along with the applicable source site, number of mentions, and percentage share of mentions.
- Top Hashtags
- The most frequently seen hashtags in your indexed mentions along with the applicable number of mentions.
- Top Interests
- The most frequently seen interests reported by authors indexed in your mentions along with the number of mentions, number of authors, and a graph displaying the interest growth reported over your selected period.
- Top Languages
- The most frequently seen languages along with the total number of mentions, unique authors, and the percentage share of authors posting in each language. If a language was not detected, it will be considered unknown.
- Gender Split
- The total percentage of mentions divided by male and female authors.
- Volume by Countries
- A color-coded graph portraying the most popular countries seen in your mentions along with the total number of mentions and unique authors. Hover over each country to view a breakdown of the number of mentions indexed.
A color-coded chart with the most popular topics in the center of the wheel. Extending from each topic in the center, you’ll see popular sub-topics in the outer circle.
On the right-hand side of the page, you will find the list of mentions indexed in your selected timeframe. For more information on viewing mentions and the available data, please visit our guide here.