When you connect Instagram Channels to Falcon, you will have full access to the Channels' posts, conversations, performance statistics, and more. In this article, find out how to get your Instagram Channel set up correctly and connected to Falcon.
The features mentioned in this article are only available to Falcon users with a user role of Team Leader or Admin.
What Type of Instagram Accounts Can I Connect to Falcon?
There are 3 types of Instagram accounts: Personal Accounts, Business Accounts, and Creator Accounts. Only Instagram Business Accounts can be connected to Falcon with full functionality. An Instagram Business Account may otherwise be known as a Professional Account.
Due to API restrictions, it’s not possible to connect Instagram Personal Accounts to Falcon. Additionally, though it’s possible to connect a Creator Account, functionality will be limited in Falcon and you may not be able to Publish posts or interact in Engage.
For help switching to a Business Account or help finding out what type of account you have currently, please follow the guide below.
In Falcon, all applicable accounts and pages for all networks will be referred to as Channels.
Switching to an Instagram Business Account
If your Instagram Account is not yet a Business Account, you can switch it to a Business Account either in the Instagram App or on Facebook. Here, you can also make sure your Instagram Account is linked to a Facebook Page. Please bear in mind that linking to a Facebook Page is mandatory for Channel connection to Falcon.
Switching to a Business Account on the Instagram App
In the Instagram App, you can check what type of account you have and switch to a Business Account by following the steps below.
- In the Instagram App, tap your profile picture from the bottom right.
- Select the context menu (three lines) from the top right.
- From the popup menu, tap Settings.
- Look for Switch to... at the bottom of the menu.
If you only see the options Switch to Personal Account or Switch to Creator Account, this means your account is currently option no. 3, a Business Account.
If you see the option, Switch to Professional Account, this means your account is not yet a Business Account. Tap this option to make the switch and link a Facebook Page to your account.
Need to change the linked Facebook Page from the app? Tap Settings > Account > Sharing to Other Apps. Here you can view and change the Facebook Page if needed.
Linking and switching to a Business Account through Facebook
From Facebook, you can check and adjust your Facebook Page’s Instagram setup by following the steps below:
- Visit the Facebook Page.
- On the left, under Manage Page, click Settings.
- Under Page Settings, click Instagram.
If you have not yet linked your Instagram Account to this Facebook Page, click Connect Account.
If you have already linked your Instagram Account but it’s not yet a Business Account, click Get Started under the heading Switch to a Business Profile.
What Access Do I Need on Instagram?
As described above, during the process of switching to a Business Account, you will be asked to link your account to a Facebook Page (or create a new Facebook Page). In order to connect your Instagram Channel to Falcon, you will need to have Admin access to that linked Facebook Page.
Why do I need to be an Admin on the linked Facebook Page?
When you’re connecting your Instagram Channel to Falcon, Facebook will not ask for your Instagram log in credentials. Instead, you will be asked for your personal Facebook profile credentials. Next, Facebook will determine which Facebook Channels your personal profile has Admin access to, and which Instagram Business Accounts are associated with them. These Instagram Accounts will then show up as options for you to connect to Falcon.
To verify that you have Admin access to any linked Facebook Page, you can follow the steps below:
- Visit the Facebook Page (on Facebook, and not via the Facebook Business Manager).
- From the menu on the left, under Manage Page, click Settings.
- From the menu on the left, under Page Settings, click Page Roles.
- Scroll to Existing Page Roles.
- Look for your personal profile under Admins.
Need a shortcut? Find the Facebook URL and add the following onto the end: /settings/?tab=admin_roles.
For example, www.facebook.com/MikeFromFalcon/settings/?tab=admin_roles
Connecting Your Instagram Channels to Falcon
To summarize the information above, you will need to check the items in the list below before you will be able to connect your Instagram Channels to Falcon:
- The Instagram Account needs to be a Business Account.
- The Instagram Account needs to be linked to a Facebook Page.
- You need to be an Admin on the linked Facebook Page.
When you’re all set, you can connect your Channel to Falcon by following the steps below:
- From anywhere in Falcon, click on your profile icon on the bottom left.
- Click Settings.
- From the menu on the left, under Channel Settings, select Channels.
- Click Add Channels from the top right.
- Under Instagram, click Connect.
- Click Connect to Instagram.
- Confirm that your Instagram Account is already a Business Account and linked to a Facebook Page by clicking Done.
- When the Facebook popup appears, log in with your personal Facebook profile credentials. If already logged into Facebook, click Continue as...
- When prompted to select which Facebook Pages you would like to use with Falcon, click Select All. Similarly, when prompted to select/deselect permissions for Falcon, make sure all permissions are granted.
- From the menu on the left, New and disconnected channels, check the box beside any Channels you would like to connect.
- Click Connect Channel.
- From your list of Teams in Falcon, select any number of Teams you would like to add your Channel(s) to.
- Click Finish.
Next, the page will refresh automatically and your Channel will now be found in Settings > Channels along with all other applicable modules in Falcon.
FAQ & Troubleshooting
- I received an error during the connection process.
- If you have received an error at any stage of the connection process, please check out our System Requirements to make sure your system is compatible. Please also consider reaching out to our Support team for help diagnosing the issue.
- My Channel didn’t show up as an option to connect.
If a Channel does not appear as an option to connect to Falcon during the connection process, this usually means that you don’t have the required Admin access to be able to connect it. Please check your permissions on your Instagram Channel’s linked Facebook Page by following the steps above.
If you have verified that you’re an Admin, check your Falcon-Facebook Business Integration to see if the Channel has been removed from our access. Click ‘View and Edit’ on the Falcon integration to adjust the settings and Channels Falcon has access to. Please make sure that all permissions and Channels are selected.
Lastly, if your Channel is still not appearing as an option to connect to Falcon, please either ask another Admin to attempt the connection or reach out to our Support team.
- How can I double-check which Facebook Page is linked to my Instagram Account?
- In the Instagram App, you can verify (and change) which Facebook Page is linked to your account by tapping your profile image > context menu (three lines) > Account > Sharing to Other Apps. Your Facebook Page should be listed under 'Facebook'.
- Does my Instagram Channel’s linked Facebook Page need to be connected to Falcon first?
- It’s not necessary to connect it to Falcon before attempting to connect your Instagram Channel. However, if something isn’t going as planned, it is incredibly helpful to our Support team that the Facebook Channel is connected already for troubleshooting purposes.
- I’ve added my Channel but I can’t see it in Falcon.
- If you have switched your view in Falcon to Team View, the Channel may not appear (if it’s not included in your chosen Team). Please either switch to Admin View or select the correct Team View. If you’re in Admin View, or in the correct Team, already, please contact the Support team.
- Will I lose any data if I switch from a Personal Account to a Business Account?
- Switching from a Personal Account to a Business Account on Instagram may cause you to lose insights data natively on Instagram.